English as a Foreign Language
The Barbados Language Centre, established in 1981, is a division of the Barbados Community College (BCC). Situated in a quiet area of the College campus, this modern facility provides the ideal learning environment for language students.
- Fully air-conditioned
- Spacious classrooms
- Computer laboratories
- Language laboratories
- Self-Access Computer Lab (SACL)
- Student Recreation Room
Home-stay arranged by the College. A limited number of apartments and studios are available.
Initially, payment should be made directly to the host family two (2) weeks in advance. Thereafter, payment is due one (1) month in advance.
- Attachments: for students who are interested – subject to availability. Bring clothing suitable for the workplace.
- Cultural Visits: Arranged at an additional cost
- Sports: Tennis, Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Gym; Annual Sports Competitions
- Student Health Service
- Career Counselling
- Internet Access
- BCC Certificate of Proficiency / BCC Certificate of Attendance
- Minimum age – 16 years
- At least 1 year’s study of English at the secondary level (EFL Summer Programme)
- At least 3 years’ study of English at the secondary level (EFL Year Programme)
- School testimonial confirming education
- Letter of Recommendation from School or employer
- Birth Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Proof of ability to pay all fees and boarding expenses ( bank statement or document approving foreign exchange/ loan)
- Acceptance letter from the Barbados Community College
- Application for Student Visa (To be submitted on arrival at the College)
- Diagnostic Test
EFL SUMMER PROGRAMME
Two week Summer Blast, end of July beginning of August, learn English while experiencing Barbadian Culture. See page devoted to Summer Blast!
LEVELS: Beginner/ Pre-Intermediate/ Intermediate
EARLY APPLICATIONS: MID-JUNE. Application fee applies.
LATE APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED: Late Application fee applies after closing date for applications.
EFL YEAR PROGRAMME
600 hours usually from the first week of September to mid-May. This programme develops oral and written communication to satisfy the social and professional needs of non-native speakers of English.
Semester I –September – December; Semester II -January – May
From 2024 students will be prepared for the Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC).
EARLY APPLICATIONS: MID-JULY. Application fee applies.
LATE APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED: Late Application fee applies after July.
EFL PERSONALISED/SPECIALIZED PROGRAMME
This programme offers one-on-one tuition, designed to meet the linguistic, professional, social and cultural needs of individual students or companies. Further details provided upon request.
3 to 12 Weeks according to students’ needs
2 to 6 Tuition hours from Monday to Friday as determined by students’ needs and budget
- Intensive oral practice in Core Classes
- Supplementary classes in Pronunciation
- Listening, Reading, Situations, Grammar, Writing
- Inclusion of Technical Language as required
- Remedial Laboratory Practice
- Specialist Tutors
- Residence with Anglophone Hosts
Available on demand
Can be arranged in families
Barbados: Barbados Community College or from our website
Venezuela: Embassy of Barbados, Chuao, Caracas. Telephone: (58 212) 992-0545/ 991-6721
Guadeloupe: Le Centre Régional Information Jeunesse. Telephone: 0590 90 13 10 ou 0590 90 13 11
Please note that EFL application forms and brochures can be downloaded by clicking on the appropriate links at the bottom of this page.
Barbados Language Centre
Barbados Community College
Howell’s Cross Road
Telephone: (246) 435-3221 or (246) 426-2858 Extension 5328, 5327, 5325
Fax: (246) 429-5935
Office hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.